1. To release the dust cap press the piercing button completely in and let go.
2. Open the dust cap completely by pulling it upwards. Then open the mouthpiece by pulling it upwards.
3. Remove a SPIRIVA capsule from the blister (only immediately before use, see blister handling below) and place it in the centre chamber. It does not matter which way the capsule is placed in the chamber.
4. Close the mouthpiece firmly until you hear a click, leaving the dust cap open.
5. Hold the HandiHaler ® device with the mouthpiece upwards and press the piercing button completely in only once, and release. This makes holes in the capsule and allows the medication to be released when you breathe in.
6. Breathe out completely. Important: Please avoid breathing into the mouthpiece at any time.
7. Raise the HandiHaler ® to your mouth and close your lips tightly around the mouthpiece. Keep your head in an upright position and breathe in slowly and deeply but at a rate sufficient to hear or feel the capsule vibrate. Breathe until your lungs are full; then hold your breath as long as comfortable and at the same time take the HandiHaler ® out of your mouth. Resume normal breathing. Repeat steps 6 and 7 once, in order to empty the capsule completely.
8. Open the mouthpiece again. Tip out the used capsule and dispose. Close the mouthpiece and dust cap for storage of your HandiHaler ® device.