Low sperm count is one of the reasons for infertility. We detail out the different ways to increase sperm count, what to include in your diet and which habits to follow. These are natural ways to pump up your sperm count and increase your chances of fertility.
Causes of low sperm count includes:
- Zinc deficiency
- Excessive smoking and drinking
- Tight underpants
- Sperm disorders can affect your sperm count, the quality of the sperm and the movement. If sperms are not ejaculated often, their mobility goes haywire. Sperm disorder affects the shape of the sperm too. In terms of ejaculation and infertility, erectile dysfunction, failure to ejaculate or even premature ejaculation can be a problem during sex and also for conceiving.
Normal sperm count:
The normal volume varies from to milliliter per ejaculation.
The sperm count varies from 20 to 150 million sperm per milliliter.
At least 60% of the sperm should have a normal shape and show normal forward movement (motility).
Vitamins that can increase sperm count:
1) Vitamin B: Sources of Vitamin B: Cheese, eggs, milk, yoghurt, fortified cereals, spinach, legumes, whole grains and nuts.
2) Zinc: Sources of zinc: Oysters, sesame and sunflower seeds, ginger, wheat germ, red meat, dark chocolate, watermelon seeds and pumpkin seeds.
3) Selenium: Sources of Selenium: Shellfish, liver, fish, sunflower seeds, crabs, prawns, lobsters, cereals made from rice, wheat and oats.
Ways to Increase Sperm Count:
1) Indulge in sex and masturbation less often.
2) Avoid processed and unhealthy food choices.
3) Practice yoga to reduce stress and improve health.
4) Avoid wearing tight underwear to avoid overheating the testicles
5) Get sufficient sleep
6) Lose weight to balance the hormones
7) Avoid sitting for long hours.
8) Get a good body massage to improve circulation.
Yoga exercises to improve fertility:
1) Agnisaar kriya
5) Ashwani Mudra
6) Bhastrika Pranayam
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Indirectly, arginine also leads to a better chance of pregnancy due to its strengthening of erections and thus the prospect of more frequent sexual intercourse. Arginine-produced NO regulates the rate of blood flow ( vascularity ) and consequently the supply of nutrients throughout the body. This regulation of blood vessels means that it is indispensable for healthy functioning arteries and circulation. Urologists recommend taking arginine in their dietary treatment of erectile dysfunction for this reason. It helps blood flow to the penis.